Sunday, April 23, 2023

What is slow living and how did it save my mental health?

 




Practicing slow living has been an essential part of saving my mental health as a mother in my 30s. From the time I was a small child, becoming a mom was something I'd always dreamed of. But the reality of motherhood was
much different than my expectations.

First of all dont get me started on my the birth of my son or our 3 month Nicu stay. That is just too much to go into here and now but right away.. The sleepless nights, endless responsibilities, and overwhelming pressure to be the perfect mom had taken a toll on me.


One day, I decided to take a step back and reevaluate my life. I searched for ways to simplify and slow down my routine, and that's when I discovered slow living.

Now, I take the time to appreciate the little things in life. THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS TO BE THANKFUL FOR!.

I've also learned to let go of my need for control and perfectionism.

I've become more patient, compassionate, and present with my family and As I continued on this slow living journey, I started to notice a change in my mental state. The constant anxiety and stress began to dissipate, replaced by a sense of contentment. I felt more grounded, more centered.

And with this newfound peace came a greater appreciation for the world around me. (Even with the grief of losing my Dad) I began to notice the beauty in the small things - the way the sun filtered through the trees, the sound of the wind rustling through the leaves, our morning walks and when my son brings me nature gifts.

I started to prioritize what was truly important in my life - my family, my health, my happiness. And in doing so, I found that I was able to let go of the things that didn't matter as much. The laundry could wait, the dishes could pile up. What mattered most was being present with my loved ones and enjoying the simple moments that life had to offer.

Now, as I sit on my bed writing this at the end of the day, I am grateful for the peace and calm that slow living has brought me.

I am grateful for the ability to let go of my need for control and perfectionism. I no longer feel the pressure to be the perfect mom, wife, or person. I am learning to accept myself just as I am, flaws and all.

And as I lay down to sleep, I know that tomorrow will bring its own set of challenges and responsibilities. But I also know that I will continue to practice slow living, to appreciate the little things, and to prioritize what truly matters in my life. Because in the end, that is what will bring true happiness and fulfillment.

Thank you for reading
Love, Annie-Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment